Friday, February 11, 2011

I finally went back On Bernard today and I found...

Sunshine.

Yes, we had a liiiiiittle sample of it today. But the true sunshine I found was in myself, or rather its what others saw from me today. Today I walked to the bank to deposit the two checks that I had which I needed to put in the bank. It was so gloomy outside and there was lots of ice on the sidewalks. I was a little bummed with myself for leaving on my sneakers and not switching to my boots. I love walking in my boots these days. :o)

When I got to the bank, there was a little confusion with our account (because we have a "world" account and a US account). Unfortunately, the confusion came in that my name is only on the US account, so I was not able to deposit the checks that were in my name. I noticed the teller getting tense and a little uncomfortable with a side of frustration on why this wasn't set up right. She went to the back and was gone for about five minutes.

When she came back, she looked like she was bracing herself for some reason. (I know this sounds dramatic but it also felt a little like it). She apologized with great hesitation and tried to explain things to me... I then realized that all of this emotion on her end was to a potential reaction that I might have to retaliate against her... I thought to myself very quickly, "Are people that nasty these days to others that we now have to prepare ourselves for their reactions?"

I kept myself in check and realized what was going on. I told her that I understood and that Michael and I can go to the bank together at a different branch that was open on the weekend and we would handle it. I said it all very calmly and very sincerely. It's not her fault. Why would I talk to her any differently? She took a very deep breath, smiled back at me and thanked me for being so nice and said other stuff I can't remember.  She then exchanged friendly comments about enjoying the weather and a few other things, as if she was happy to be talking to someone friendly for a change and didn't want to pass up the moment. Of course I obliged and thanked her for her time. Then I walked out. As I walked out, I noticed the sun was shining.  EXCELLENT!

As I walked across the street, I thought to myself, "No big deal. We'll fix it when we get a chance." As I headed over to Mosaic books, I was so excited to pick up my order that had come in. I had special ordered 4 things and 2 of them had come in. The day before, a sales person called me, without knowing that others had called me before her, and sounded worried that she annoyed me. When I walked in I recognized the girl who took my order (whom I adore) and saw the girl that called me was at the counter. The first girl went and got my order while the other girl took notice of which books were being pulled. Immediately she started apologizing and going on and on about how she didn't know that I had already been notified before she had called me... I simply said, "I would rather you call me then disregard my order and leave it sitting here without me knowing about it. At least you called." The same thing that happened in the back, happened with her. She smiled and immediately engaged in conversation about my books.  We then talked about Darby, and a bunch of other stuff. It was so fun to chat with these girls. I love the people that work in this bookstore!  When I was ready to go, I thanked them for their time and told them I will see them when my next books came in...very simple. No big deal.

However, I feel this was all a VERY big deal. Manners people! Once again what is up with people and how they treat others?? Have we become so horrible to each other that people tense up out of fear for reactions that are completely undeserving to them??? I get it. Some people are not great at being customer service representatives. But these people today that I came in contact with, were clearly wonderful people and very genuine at heart.  Why? Why would they be afraid to confront me over something that was beyond their control? I hate that. I really do. I felt like it was my job to "be me". No reason to get upset or frustrated. It's never a big deal. Nothing could be so bad to treat someone else horribly.


Today my attitude of gratitude is for my mind!  That I can actually use it and it works really well when I need it to...





No comments:

Post a Comment